Am I a Drug Addict? Understanding the Signs of Addiction
Facing your addiction can be extremely difficult, but it is necessary to do so that you can seek help and begin your recovery. In order to come to terms with your illness, though, you need to understand the primary signs of addiction. Take a look at the symptoms of addiction to determine if you need to make a change.
If you or your loved one need a safe space to recover from addiction, contact Myrtle Beach Recovery to learn more about our short- and long-term recovery programs.
What is Addiction?
In order to determine if you have an addiction, you need to have a clear understanding of what addiction actually is. Addiction is a dependence that goes far beyond simply “wanting to use” a substance. Your body requires the substance just to feel normal and function, and over time, it requires more and more of that substance. Addiction is a proven medical disease that makes real, physical changes to your body and alters the chemical balance of your brain.
The following questions will help you determine if you have an addiction. Ask yourself if any of these tendencies apply to you:
- Have you been prescribed a drug for a health problem, but you continue to use it even though it’s no longer needed?
- Do you continually increase the dose of the drug because you require more to feel its effects?
- Are you using the substance even after recognizing the negative effects it’s having on your life, whether that be with relationships, work, or the law?
- Are you hiding the fact that you are using the drug from your loved ones?
- Have your loved ones noticed and confronted you about changes in your behavior?
- Do you get the drug prescribed by multiple doctors?
- Do you look in people’s cabinets for drugs you can take?
- Do you feel that you cannot stop yourself from using the drug?
- Are you constantly finding yourself thinking about using the drug?
If you answered yes to any of these, it may be time to seek assistance.
Addiction Physically Affects You
There are many physical signs that indicate you may have an addiction. Asses if any of the following apply to you:
- Dizziness and/or shakiness after the substance has worn off
- Headaches and/or a fever after the substance has worn off
- Abrupt weight changes
- Inability to sleep, or sleeping too much
- Bloodshot eyes
Addiction Changes Your Personality
Addiction has a huge effect on your behaviors and personality. Some changes may include:
- Lack of motivation
- Disregard for personal hygiene
- Loss of interest in activities you used to love
Consider Myrtle Beach Recovery
Now that you understand the signs of addiction, it may be time to take the next step and explore how to recover from this serious disease. Don’t hesitate to reach out to Myrtle Beach Recovery. We offer short-term and long-term recovery programs, providing a safe place to work through the 12 Steps.
Contact us today to find out how we can help you on your path to sobriety.